
Adding Pro Bowler Nick Mangold Would Make Sense
The New York Jets announced another cap-saving move over the weekend by releasing 11-year veteran, and perhaps the best center of the past decade, Nick Mangold.
The seven-time Pro Bowler has spent his entire career with the Jets after they drafted him in the first round of the 2006 NFL Draft, but it doesn’t look like New York will be his only destination.
NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported Mangold, 33, has no plans to retire and will be a hot commodity during free agency. Mangold released a statement via Twitter saying, in part, “I look the forward to seeing what the future holds for me."
Ravens fans want to know whether it would make sense for that future to be in Baltimore.
The Baltimore Sun’s Jeff Zrebiec likes the idea, but only if Mangold is healthy.
@JustinCos419 Yes, it would make a lot of sense. They'll have to decide how much of his issues last yr were related to injuries, or decline
— Jeff Zrebiec (@jeffzrebiecsun) February 26, 2017
@Eckard410 certainly if He's healthy.
— Jeff Zrebiec (@jeffzrebiecsun) February 25, 2017
Some are comparing Mangold to the Ravens’ free-agent signing of center Matt Birk, who joined the Ravens at about the same age and with almost as many Pro Bowls as Mangold. He went on to anchor the Ravens offensive line for four seasons and retired after winning Super Bowl XLVII.
One difference between the two players is concern surrounding their health. Birk came to Baltimore after starting all 16 games during the previous three seasons, while Mangold missed the final eight games last year with an ankle injury. Prior to that, however, he built a reputation for durability by starting 160 of 164 regular-season games through 2015.
According to Pro Football Focus, Mangold hasn't given up a sack in his last 33 games.
The Ravens already have veteran center ![]()
The Ravens will have to decide whether they think Mangold would be an upgrade from the players already on the roster and/or if he could be signed for cheaper.
Zrebiec says Mangold adds an interesting option in a “poor free agent and draft market for centers,” and signing him wouldn’t preclude the Ravens from drafting another center to build for the future.
If Ravens brass is interested, other things will have to align, including salary, competition from other teams and where Mangold would prefer to land. But there’s reason for the Ravens to at least look into the possibility of bringing him to the purple and black.
“I think the released Nick Mangold is going to be some team’s solid rock at center over the next two seasons,” wrote TheMMQB.com’s Peter King. “He’ll be able to pass physicals this spring, from what I hear, and, at 33, you don’t want to plan your future at center around him.
“But for the short term, if he stays healthy, he could have an Alex Mack-type impact on a needy line (as Mack did in Atlanta in 2016).”
Does ![]()
As the Ravens said in a statement Sunday, safety Matt Elam isn’t in their plans for the 2017 season.
His arrest yesterday morning on drug charges isn’t the reason for that decision. The team had already decided not to pick up Elam’s fifth-year option on his rookie contract, making him a scheduled free agent in March.
Elam had been working hard to overcome an injury-riddled career in Baltimore (missed all of 2015 with torn biceps and seven games in 2016 with a knee injury), but his arrest 11 days prior to the new league year won’t help him strike a deal with a new team.
“Before the arrest, Elam was likely looking at having to sign a one-year, ‘prove it’ deal for close to the veteran minimum salary in free agency,” wrote Zrebiec. “Now, his career is in definite jeopardy as he likely faces NFL discipline for a second time.”
Elam served a one-game suspension in 2014 for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy, and if a team wants to sign him for 2017, they’ll do it knowing he likely won’t be available for multiple games to start the season with another suspension.
The unfortunate incident has many discussing Elam’s Ravens legacy after the team used the 32nd-overall pick to draft him in 2013.
“Elam … is officially the worst first-round pick in team history,” wrote ESPN’s Jamison Hensley. “His career in Baltimore can be summed up like this: He couldn't stay in the starting lineup. He couldn't stay healthy. He couldn't stay out of trouble.
“…There have been missteps from wide receiver Travis Taylor to quarterback Kyle Boller to wide receiver Mark Clayton. But at the very least, those players started more than 40 games and showed flashes of skill. Boller even outdueled Brett Favre on Monday Night Football once by throwing for three touchdowns.”
Saying Goodbye To Entire 2013 Draft Class?
With Elam not returning to the Ravens next season, Zrebiec looks at how the entire 2013 draft class could come to an end in the next few months.
Elam will join Arthur Brown (second round), John Simon (fourth round), Kapron Lewis-Moore (sixth round), Aaron Mellette (seventh round) and Marc Anthony (seventh round) as players who have already left Baltimore.
There’s also ![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
“Disgruntled Ravens’ fans often cite the team's 2013 draft class as proof that General Manager Ozzie Newsome has lost his touch,” wrote Zrebiec. “He couldn’t have missed any more with his two first picks, as Elam and Brown contributed as little as any early draft picks in Ravens’ history. However, in rounds three through five, Newsome found three of the best players in the NFL at their respective positions in Williams, Juszczyk and Wagner.
“In my opinion, the bigger issue than the mixed 2013 draft production is the early-round misses from 2013-2015. Elam, Brown, Terrance Brooks (third round, 2014), ![]()
![]()
Correlating Compensatory Picks With Super Bowl Wins
For the first time since 2010, the Ravens will not have multiple compensatory picks in the draft. But they did get a significant third-rounder after losing offensive lineman Kelechi Osemele to the Oakland Raiders in free agency last season.
Overall, the Ravens still lead the entire league with the most compensatory picks (48) since the system was instituted 24 years ago.
“[C]ompensatory picks have turned out to reward smart teams,” wrote ProFootballTalk.com’s Michael David Smith. “The teams that have been wise about not over-spending in free agency and keeping themselves in good salary cap shape are the ones that keep getting lots of compensatory picks, while the teams that overspend in free agency are the ones that don’t receive compensatory picks.”
The MMQB’s Peter King looked at the teams with the most comp picks over the years, and correlated them to Super Bowl wins.
1. Baltimore: 48 comp picks; 2 Super Bowls
2. Green Bay: 38 comp picks; 2 Super Bowls
3. Dallas: 37 comp picks; 1 Super Bowl
4. New England: 34 comp picks; 5 Super Bowls
5. St. Louis/L.A. Rams: 33 comp picks; 1 Super Bowl
“Maybe [their] success … is a coincidence,” King wrote. “But I doubt it.”
The Ravens uncharacteristically signed more free agents than usual last season, adding safety ![]()
![]()
Was the addition of Watson worth cancelling out one of the losses of outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw and quarterback Matt Schaub, who both signed with the Falcons?
So if the #Ravens hadn't signed Ben Watson they would've gotten two compensatory picks. There's a chance he'll never play a down for them.
— Glenn Clark (@GlennClarkRadio) February 24, 2017
Dont think it would have mattered. Schaub & Upshaw "qualified" as losses, but, even if not canceled, would still have fallen below 32nd Comp https://t.co/j1swf33K8s
— Brian McFarland (@RavensSalaryCap) February 24, 2017
Some have criticized the Ravens for letting so many of their ascending players leave, like Osemele.
@supPLAYA11 No question, they've had their share of misses, primarily in draft. But their track record of moving on from guys is damn good.
— Jeff Zrebiec (@jeffzrebiecsun) February 25, 2017
Quick Hits
#Bears are not expected to franchise Alshon Jeffery again at > $17M, sources say. A top WR on the market will generate lots of buzz in Indy
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 27, 2017
To b clear, all cuts do not HAVE to b made by 3/9, but teams must b under Cap by then & FA begins, so Cap space to make moves will be needed https://t.co/PBGXm2Buq0
— Brian McFarland (@RavensSalaryCap) February 26, 2017
"
— Simpleton (@plzzlisten) February 27, 2017Joe Flacco isn't an elite quarterback." @PardonMyTake @PFTCommenter pic.twitter.com/NufOxHEmwf
This draft is so deep. I have about 70 guys worthy of a top 50 spot. The 2nd/3rd round is going to produce a lot of future pro bowlers.
— Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) February 25, 2017
1. CB
— Brian McFarland (@RavensSalaryCap) February 24, 2017Shareece Wright earned 2016 playing time incentives that will hit 2017 Cap as a $500K negative adjustment (reducing Cap space).
They just wheeled The Colonel back to the OR for surgery. It's time. Time to kick cancer's ass. #SteeleStrong cousin Luke ❤️ pic.twitter.com/Jf9B7Ah6Cv
— Sage Steele (@sagesteele) February 24, 2017
Colonel is out of surgery and doing well!! We were able 2 talk 2 him & other than being n pain, is doing great. Thanks 4 the prayers!!!
— Chad Steele (@CSteele32) February 25, 2017



