The Baltimore Ravens will promote Breast Cancer Awareness Month through a variety of initiatives, beginning this Sunday (10/14) at the Ravens vs. Cowboys game. Those initiatives will include:
- Ravens staff, family members and volunteers will distribute over 50,000 pink ribbons to fans as they enter stadium gates on Sunday morning. In collaboration with the American Cancer Society, the initiative, called A Crucial Catch: Annual Screening Saves Lives, reminds women 40 and older about the importance of having an annual mammogram. In its efforts to create a world with less breast cancer and more birthdays, American Cancer Society volunteers will also distribute boxes of birthday candles to fans as they leave Sunday's game.
- Prior to the game's kickoff, 25 women, a combination of breast cancer survivors and those currently undergoing treatment, will be honored in an on-field ceremonial tribute.
- The Ravens will also incorporate many pink elements into Sunday's game. Ravens players and coaches will wear pink-themed items throughout the game, including cleats, gloves, wristbands, jerseys, Gatorade towels and more. Ravens cheerleaders will sport pink pom-poms, and members of Baltimore's Marching Ravens will wear pink plumes. In addition, the Ravens Gameday magazine will feature a pink hue.
- Game-worn pink merchandise will be auctioned at www.nfl.com/auction, with proceeds benefiting the American Cancer Society. In 2011, the NFL and its players donated more than $1 million to breast cancer awareness, prevention and research efforts as a result of the A Crucial Catch campaign, with the majority of the donation coming from the sale of pink NFL Auction items. This year, $50,000 from last year's funding will specifically be given to help hundreds of underserved women in Harford County, Md., receive mammograms, breast screenings and breast health education. The American Cancer Society has identified Harford County as the second-highest county surrounding NFL markets where breast cancer screening disparities are greatest.
- The Ravens have further collaborated with the American Cancer Society through support of the nonprofit's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event on Sunday, Oct. 14. Fans can visit www.stridesbaltimore.org to join Team Purple. All participants of Team Purple will receive a commemorative t-shirt as a thank you gift.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month activities will continue throughout October, as Ravens players and staff will visit survivors undergoing treatment in local hospitals. The players will distribute pink NFL items and offer support and encouragement to patients.
For more information, please visit www.BaltimoreRavens.com/community.