Baltimore Ravens Black History Month Essay Contest
Black History Month Essay Contest
The Baltimore Ravens are proud to announce the 2nd Annual Black History Month Essay Contest, which is open to all middle and high school students in Baltimore and its surrounding areas. The theme for this year's essay is "Celebrate, Motivate, Inspire" and students are encouraged to submit an essay between 250-500 words describing an African American in history, in your life or community, who is making or has made a positive impact on history and how they have inspired you personally.
Essays must be the author's original, unpublished work. The goal is to celebrate the contributions of African Americans in history and those who are making a difference in the Baltimore community today.
All entries are due on February 18, 2022 and four winners (two grand prize, two runner-ups) will be identified in March 2022.
- Essays should be between 250-500 words
- Two divisions – Middle School (6th – 8th) and High School (9th – 12th)
- One grand prize winner will be selected from each division
- One runner-up winner will be selected from each division
- Essays should be uploaded as an attachment to BaltimoreRavens.com/BlackHistoryMonth no later than Friday, February 18, 2022 at 11:59 PM
All documents should include:
- Student's first name
- School name
- Current grade
- Guardian's name
- Guardian's e-mail
- Guardian and/or Student's Mailing Address
A panel of judges from the Baltimore Ravens will review the essays
Rules: The Panel will judge, and "score," each eligible entry by assigning a point value to each eligible entry for each of the following, respective criteria: (a) degree to which the student applied the theme of "Celebrate, Motivate, Inspire" (0-5 points); (b) degree to which the chosen subject has made a positive impact on history and/or their community (0-5 points); (c) degree to which the chosen subject has inspired or impacted the life of the student/author (0-5 points); and (d) the originality of the story (0-5 points).
Grand Prize (2 total: 1 High School, 1 Middle School Winner):
- Four (4) tickets to a Ravens game in 2022
- One (1) Ravens Jersey
Runner-Up (Two total: One High School, One Middle School Winner):
- One (1) Autographed Football
All Submissions: All participants will receive a Certificate of Completion/Participation