Cleveland Browns: Mike Rutenberg Will Reportedly Be Hired as Defensive Coordinator
Todd Monken has reportedly chosen his defensive coordinator in Cleveland.
Mike Rutenberg, who spent the 2025 season as the Atlanta Falcons' defensive pass game coordinator, will be hired as the Browns' defensive coordinator, according to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network.
The 44-year-old Rutenberg will join Monken's new staff as he prepares for his first season as the Browns' head coach. Monken, the Ravens' former offensive coordinator, will call Cleveland's plays on offense while Rutenberg will be a defensive play-caller for the first time in his career.
Rutenberg will replace Jim Schwartz, who resigned as Cleveland's defensive coordinator after he was passed over by the Browns in favor of Monken for the head coach position. Schwartz was popular with Browns' players, but Cleveland has a strong defense returning, featuring Defensive Player of the Year Myles Garrett, Defensive Rookie of the Year Carson Schwesinger, and five-time Pro Bowl cornerback Denzel Ward.
Having spent 16 years as an NFL assistant, Rutenberg received rave reviews last week from Falcons Defensive Coordinator Jeff Ulbrich.
"He does an amazing job," Ulbrich said via Mary Kay Kabot of Cleveland.com. "He's one of the best teachers in this game. He understands the back end at a Ph.D.-plus level. He's a huge part of our success back there.
"Whether he gets a coordinator job this year or next, it's coming. He's just too good of a coach. He's got a bright future."
Pittsburgh Steelers: Will Patrick Queen Be a Salary Cap Casualty?
Former Ravens inside linebacker Patrick Queen is entering the final season of a three-year, $41 million contract with Pittsburgh. The Steelers would reportedly save $13.3 million against the salary cap by releasing Queen prior to June 1.
Could Queen be a cap casualty? Several pundits believe so, including Matt Okada of NFL.com.
"Queen was a Pro Bowler two years ago in his first season with Pittsburgh, and his numbers were somewhat similar across the board in 2025," Okada wrote. "On the flip side, he earned just a 43.4 overall defensive grade from PFF, including an abysmal 32.4 coverage grade.
"The Steelers are in good cap shape, so this might not be a necessary move, but cutting Queen before June 1 would save Pittsburgh $13.3 million to help build an offense to new head coach Mike McCarthy's specifications."
However, other pundits believe Queen's spot in Pittsburgh is fairly secure.
"I don't know who replaces Patrick Queen unless you find somebody out there right now to be able to bring in free agency that you'll like better than him," said Mark Kaboly, the Steelers' correspondent for "The Pat McAfee Show" via the Steelers Depot. "I could see Patrick Queen getting extended more than I can see him getting cut right now."
Queen was a key piece in former Head Coach Mike Tomlin's defense, but now McCarthy is at the helm, while Patrick Graham is the defensive coordinator. The new regime in Pittsburgh will decide if Queen fits into next season's plans.
Cincinnati Bengals: Ja'Marr Chase Says It's No Mystery Where Help Is Needed
The Bengals ranked last in the AFC in total defense in 2025, allowing 380.9 yards per game. After missing the playoffs for the second straight season, star Cincinnati wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase is hoping the team strengthens its defense this offseason.
"I mean, everybody pretty much knows what we need," Chase said via Russell Heltman of Sports Illustrated. "I've said it out in the media. All I gotta do is sit back and watch.
"I can't control that, so all I gotta do is control my production. At the end of the day, I'm just stating my opinion on what I think we need. I sit back, let the organization do what they do, and I just gotta let my play do the rest."
Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network thinks the Bengals will use the draft to target some of the defensive help that Chase wants. In his second 2026 mock draft, Jeremiah has Cincinnati taking Ohio State safety Caleb Downs with the 10th overall pick.












