It was Day 1 of full training camp practice at the Under Armour Performance Center in Owings Mills, Md., giving onlookers the first chance to get impressions of* *the team.
Here are some highlights and notes:
- The weather tested the team out of the gate. It was right around 100 degrees, and with humidity felt well into the triple digits. Tight end Ed Dickson said he lost 11 pounds during practice, and he wasn't alone in being amazed by his post-practice weigh-in. "It's good to have hot weather," Head Coach John Harbaugh said.
- Tackle Ramon Harewood left practice early. Harbaugh said the third-year veteran rolled his ankle and will know more about his injury and status later. Harewood spent the past two seasons on injured reserve.
- Wide receiver Torrey Smith cramped up near the end of practice after making a sparkling twisting catch, but returned to action. Harbaugh pointed out that players with less body fat are more prone to cramps.
- Several receivers showed off their hands during practice. Jacoby Jones made a couple of nice snags, as did Smith and LaQuan Williams. Williams had a diving catch on a lofted deep ball that may have been the play of the day. Harbaugh said cutting down on dropped passes is a priority this camp.
- Ed Reed almost came underneath Anquan Boldin for an interception, but had it glance off his fingers. Even the veteran Reed still drops to the turf for push-ups.
- Lardarius Webb got the first touchdown of camp after he intercepted Joe Flacco on a pass to the outside and took it about 30 yards to the end zone. Webb had a great break on the ball, and it was a pass Flacco may not have tried in a real game.
- The secondary played well all day. Rookie cornerback Asa Jackson got an interception, undrafted rookie safety Omar Brown picked one off, and veteran safety Sean Considine snagged one too. All three came versus quarterback Curtis Painter.
- Flacco looked sharp throughout practice (minus his one interception). He hit Jones on a deep lofted pass just beyond the reach of Webb. Jones is an explosive runner on the outside.
- Harbaugh said the backup running back job could be shared among different players, using their collective strengths.
- Outside linebacker Sergio Kindle played some on the first team opposite Paul Kruger. Courtney Upshaw also played with the first team.
- Ray Lewis broke up a 3rd-and-short pass at the goal line to prevent the offense from scoring in the two-minute drill. He looked quick getting out in coverage against second-year running back Anthony Allen. It may have been a sign of speed gained from his weight loss.
- Both kickers were on point. Billy Cundiff was 4-for-4 and rookie Justin Tucker went 5-for-5.
- Tackle/guard Kelechi Osemele (back), tackle/guard Jah Reid (calf), wide receiver David Reed (knee) and defensive end Pernell McPhee (knee) did not practice again. Harbaugh said Osemele could return tomorrow and Reid will take a couple more days.
- Funny quote from Flacco on fatherhood: "To be honest with you, when I'm home with my wife and* *[the baby's] around, I'm useless. I have nothing he wants. If he's crying, 'Hey hun, here you go.' That's my job right now."