KEVIN BYRNE – Senior Vice President of Public and Community Relations
"There has been some discussion in the media about the Ravens providing a 'script' or 'suggested script' to Janay and Ray Rice prior to a May 23 press session. After conversations with Ray about what he wanted to say, we did provide talking points to Ray for this event. (Those talking points are below. Preparing talking points and briefings for meetings with reporters is common in our business.) After Ray informed the Ravens that Janay wanted also to speak at the event, I asked Ray on two different days if Ray wanted me to speak with Janay in advance of the press session. Both times, Ray declined and said: 'She's good. She knows what she wants to say.' At no time prior to the May 23 session did we provide talking points, a script or suggested script to Janay or speak with her about the press event. We did not recommend or suggest to Ray or Janay that she apologize in any way.
"We understand that the NFLPA also provided Ray talking points and that he repeatedly looked at these on his phone during the May 23 press event."
Below are the talking points the Ravens provided to Rice:
- I Take Full Responsibility For What Happened That Night. I Apologize…(list all you want to address)
- We Will Not Let This One Night Define Who We Are
- I Was Wrong. I Made a Mistake.
- I Regret My Behavior. I'm Embarrassed.
- I Hold Myself to a Higher Standard and I Failed.
- We Can Do Something Going Forward By Admitting Our Mistakes and Making Sure We Serve as an Example of Doing the Right Things
- I Have Been Busted Up Over My Behavior. I've Been in Anguish. That Is Not the Way I Was Raised. I Am So Sorry Mom…And Janay's Family
- I Pride Myself On Being a Good Example and Role Model to Younger People. I Failed Miserably
- Janay and I Are in Counseling, and We Will Continue This. We are Determined to, as Coach Harbaugh Says, Make This Right…COUNSELING HAS BEEN GREAT FOR ME AND US. I'VE TAKEN STEPS TO BE A BETTER HUSBAND, FATHER AND ROLE MODEL.
- I Completely Understand Any Person, Group or Company That Wants to Distance Themselves From Me. That's My Fault. I Am Working to Re-Build That Trust, Especially With Young People Who Look Up to Me
- I Am Working To Be the Best Person I Can Be. We Are Working Together.
- We Are Building to Be the Best Partners We Can Be to Each Other and the Best Parents We Can Be to Rayven
- Thank you