The annual NFL spending spree won't start for another month, but two Ravens are already expected to be hot commodities if they hit the market.
Outside linebacker Pernell McPhee (No. 14) and wide receiver Torrey Smith (No. 18) were both named in the league's top-25 free agents, according to a list from NFL.com.
McPhee, 26, is likely in line for a big payday after the best season of his career where he racked up 7.5 sacks and a forced fumble. He could follow in the footsteps of other recent Ravens defenders like Art Jones and Dannell Ellerbe who cashed in on strong seasons with big deals in free agency.
Smith, 25, may be the best receiver on the market this year, especially if top talents Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas are franchised or re-sign with their current teams before free agency opens. Smith is a proven deep threat with plenty of big-game experience, and he has 30 touchdowns through his first four years in the NFL. He had a slow start to the 2014 season, but still finished with 11 touchdowns and 767 receiving yards.
Baltimore's front office is eligible to negotiate with McPhee, Smith and the rest of the team's free agents for the next month, but then other teams can get into the fray starting on March 7 when the legal tampering period begins.
Regardless of what happens with their current free agents, the Ravens could look to bolster their roster by taking an active approach to free agency. The front office would likely have to clear salary cap space to make that happen, but General Manager Ozzie Newsome is known to get creative during the offseason months.
As the Ravens develop their offseason game plan, here's NFL.com's list of the top 25 free agents for this year:
Below is the full list from NFL.com.
- Ndamukong Suh, Detroit Lions defensive tackle
- Justin Houston, Kansas City Chiefs pass rusher
- Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys wide receiver
- Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos wide receiver
Photographer Shawn Hubbard captured remarkable images from the season that you don't want to miss.
- Jason Pierre-Paul, New York Giants defensive end
- Julius Thomas, Denver Broncos tight end
- Mike Iupati, San Francisco 49ers guard
- Randall Cobb, Green Bay Packers wide receiver
- Devin McCourty, New England Patriots safety
- DeMarco Murray, Dallas Cowboys running back
- Jerry Hughes, Buffalo Bills pass rusher
- Jason Worilds, Pittsburgh Steelers pass rusher
- Jared Odrick, Miami Dolphins defensive tackle
- Pernell McPhee, Baltimore Ravens pass rusher
- Terrance Knighton, Denver Broncos defensive tackle
- Jeremy Maclin, Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver
- Brandon Graham, Philadelphia Eagles pass rusher
- Torrey Smith, Baltimore Ravens wide receiver
- Greg Hardy, Carolina Panthers pass rusher
- Byron Maxwell, Seattle Seahawks cornerback
- C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills running back
- Nick Fairley, Detroit Lions defensive tackle
- Brandon Flowers, San Diego Chargers cornerback
- Brian Orakpo, Washington Redskins pass rusher
- Jordan Cameron, Cleveland Browns tight end