How crazy is this? From 5-11 to playing for the AFC title and a Roman numeral trip to Tampa Bay.
The mayor of Baltimore is facing an indictment, Wall Street is bleeding, unemployment is soaring, but life is beautiful at 1 Winning Drive.
For at least 3 hours a week, we can forget about the dark side of our lives and lose ourselves in Baltimore's football team.
Some in this band of "Mighty Men" were part of a mutiny last season; a year later, they're all about team as John Harbaugh leads them into the AFC Championship game.
And speaking of the coach, the Kodak moment of the win over the Titans was Harbaugh father and son locked in a bear-hug embrace in the game's final seconds.
As the two separated, it was clear there were tears in the eyes of Jack Harbaugh.
This man, who dedicated his life to the game and shared lessons of football and life with his son, was damn proud of his boy.
Mr. and Mrs. Flacco: Baltimore thanks you for your son. The rookie is all grown up. Joe Flacco has gone 4 straight, and 10 of his last 13, games without an interception; and he hasn't been sacked in the playoffs.
Joe Cool's accuracy and decision making have led this Ravens run to the final four.
Joe Flacco was 6 years old when Matt Stover kicked his 1st NFL field goal. Eighteen years later, "Ole Automatic" is still kicking with the same franchise. Stover hit the 43-yard game-winner, which surpassed his late first-half Super Bowl XXXV field goal as the kick of his life.
Baltimore won this game because the Titans couldn't; Tennessee had the best of it in the first half, outgaining the Ravens 256 yards to 94, but the halftime score was 7-7, and you knew the Ravens were in business.
The Titans imploded with 3 turnovers in Ravens territory and 11 penalties for 89 yards. The Ravens were outplayed in several areas, but the defense that lead the NFL in take-aways took away the dreams of the top-seeded Titans and their fans.
- The Ravens are 1-2 in home playoff games. Away from Baltimore, they are 6-1. This just in! Pittsburgh is away from Baltimore.
- The road team has won all 3 times the Ravens and Titans have met in the playoffs.
- Quick Starts: John Harbaugh is 2-0 in the playoffs; Brian Billick started 5-0.
- Can Jim Leonhard be an unsung hero when everybody keeps singing his praises?
- Flacco has only completed 44% of his playoff passes compared to 60% in the regular season, but his TD pass to Derrick Mason and his dart to Mark Clayton to set up the winning field goal were special throws.
- After the early Titans score, the Ravens' defense went over 55 minutes without giving up a touchdown.
- In the spirit of the season, from our house to yours, I'd like to wish everyone a most joyous Festivus Maximus!
3 and not out!
Long-time and respected broadcast journalist Scott Garceau has covered Baltimore sports, including all of its pro football teams, for the last 30 years. Scott, who was the radio voice of Ravens football for the team's first 10 seasons (1996-2005), is a seven-time Maryland Sportscaster of the Year. Garceau is also honored as Baltimore's Pro Football Hall of Fame selector/voter. A native of the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, where he is a member of the area Hall of Fame, Scott has covered the NFL since 1971.