Following a 27-7 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars to clinch a playoff spot, three Ravens are in the running for awards this week. Head coach John Harbaugh, quarterback Joe Flacco and safety Ed Reed can all win through a fan vote.
Harbaugh completed his first-ever season as a head coach, successfully turning around a Ravens franchise that went 5-11 in 2007 to an 11-5 record and postseason berth in 2008. Voting for the honor is now open here and will remain open until Wednesday, Dec. 31 at 6 p.m.
Flacco turned in what could have been his best game this season to potentially become the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week. He completed 17 of 23 passes for a career-high 297 yards and a 115.8 passer rating. Flacco was also 12-of-13 over three second-quarter scoring drives to seize the lead for good. Voting for the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week ends Wednesday at 6 p.m.
Meanwhile, Reed notched two interceptions for the second consecutive game. The former NFL Defensive Player of the Year picked off Jaguars quarterback David Garrard once in the second quarter, setting up a Ravens scoring drive just before the half, and another with less than two minutes remaining in the contest to seal a Baltimore victory. He is up for the GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week, voting for which closes Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.
*Here is a closer look at the nominees for the Motorola Coach of the Week: *
- John Harbaugh led the Baltimore Ravens into the playoffs with a 27 - 7 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Ravens rookie QB Joe Flacco completed 17 of 23 passes for 297 yards and threw no interceptions and RB Le'Ron McClain added 70 rushing yards and two touchdowns. The Ravens defense forced four turnovers including two interceptions by FS Ed Reed.
- Andy Reid and the Philadelphia Eagles earned the final NFC playoff spot with a 44 - 6 win over their NFC East rival Dallas Cowboys. The Eagles offense controlled the ball for more than 30 minutes. Eagles QB Donovan McNabb passed for 175 yards and two touchdowns and did not throw an interception. The Eagles defense forced five Cowboys turnovers and recorded four sacks, one interception and three forced fumbles.
- Tony Sparano led the Miami Dolphins into the Meadowlands to beat the division rival New York Jets 24 - 17 and secure the AFC East title. The Dolphins offense controlled the ball for nearly 34 minutes and the Dolphins defense forced four Jets turnovers. Dolphins QB Chad Pennington completed 22 of 30 passes for 200 yards and two touchdowns and RBs Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams added more than 100 yards rushing. Dolphins CB Andre' Goodman made two interceptions and forced one fumble while DE Phillip Merling added a third interception to the effort.
*Here are the nominees for the Diet Pepsi Rookie of the Week: *
- Baltimore Ravens QB Joe Flacco completed 17 of 23 passes for 297 yards in the Ravens' 27 - 7 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars to earn a playoff spot.
- Miami Dolphins K Dan Carpenter made a 48-yard fourth quarter field goal and completed all three extra points to help the Dolphins beat the New York Jets 24 - 17 and earn the #3 seed in the AFC.
- Indianapolis Colts DE Marcus Howard recorded 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks and a forced fumble in the Colts' 23 - 0 win over the Tennessee Titans.
- Arizona Cardinals CB Dominique Rodger-Cromartie made five tackles and one interception in the Cardinals' 34 - 21 win over the Seattle Seahawks.
- Houston Texans RB Steve Slaton totaled 20 carries for 92 yards and one touchdown in the Texans' 31 - 24 win over the Chicago Bears.
*Here are the nominees for the GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week: *
- Baltimore Ravens SS Ed Reed recorded three tackles and two interceptions in the Ravens' 27 - 7 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars to earn a playoff spot.
- Pittsburgh Steelers SS Tyrone Carter recorded four tackles and two interceptions, one returned 32 yards for a touchdown, in the Steelers' 31 - 0 win over the Cleveland Browns.
- Philadelphia Eagles DE Chris Clemons had two sacks and recovered a fumble for a touchdown in the Eagles' 44 - 6 win over the Dallas Cowboys to advance to the playoffs.
- Miami Dolphins CB Andre' Goodman made four tackles, forced one fumble and had two interceptions in the Dolphins' 24 - 17 win over the New York Jets to clinch the #3 seed in the AFC playoffs.
- New England Patriots DE Jarvis Green totaled five tackles including two sacks in the Patriots' 13 - 0 win over the Buffalo Bills to keep their playoff hopes alive.
VOTE FOR COACH HARBAUGH| *VOTE FOR JOE| VOTE FOR ED*